Mistakes, triumphs and adventures in pescitarian cooking!

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Palak Paneer




I was planning on doing a completely different dish today, but I got waylaid by the one craving I almost always submit to: Palak Paneer. if you haven't had this spinach cheese curry before, you are missing out big time! It is absolutely delectable.

I recently got take out at a local Indian eatery that shall remain nameless, and I'm sad to say that it was by far the worst Palak Paneer I have ever had. I was so let down by this experience that I knew I would have to make my own soon (at least I can sort of trust myself!) I don't know that mine is as divine as some of the fat-filled ones at some of the terrific restaurants around Detroit, partly because I try to make mine somewhat healthier!

The star of this dish is the Indian cheese called paneer, a wonderfully creamy and mild substance that is often homemade. But when the craving calls, and you don't have a block of paneer in the fridge (or the time or courage to make it yourself), then feta can be a great alternative. Yes, I know that the flavor is much more powerful than laidback paneer, and it won't really be exactly the same... but trust me when I say that it tastes amazing enveloped in the creamy, richly spiced spinach... nom nom nom. In a way, I almost like it better than paneer because the flavor of the cheese doesn't get overpowered by the spinach the same way paneer sometimes does. I've read that you can also use ricotta, queso blanco, and cottage cheese as alternatives, but I've never tried those.

Most palak paneer recipes call for both ghee (clarified butterfat) and heavy cream, but I've lightened mine up a touch by using half and half and just enough olive oil to sautee the onions and garlic at the beginning.


Palak Paneer
serves 4 (or two very hungry people ;))

Two bags of frozen spinach (mine were 500 grams each)
half a large white onion
1 medium tomato
4 cloves of garlic (but I loooooove garlic)
1 inch piece of fresh ginger, minced
1 tsp of chili powder
1 tsp ground coriander
1 and 1/2 tsp of turmeric
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp smoked paprika
small handful of cumin seeds
1 tsp of garam masala
2/3 of a cup of half and half
1 tsp salt

1. Defrost spinach, either by microwaving or setting on the counter prior to cooking.

2. Heat oil in a large sauce pan. Finely chop onion and tomato and add it to the heated oil. Mince garlic and ginger, and add to pot.

3. Measure spices and add to pot.

4. Take defrosted spinach and add to the pot, and stir into the other ingredients. Let cook on medium heat for 5-8 minutes.

5. I like my curry to have a gravy like consistency, so I take about 2/3 of the mixture and blend it in a blender. You could skip this step if you like a chunkier dish.

6. Pour spinach curry back into the pot, and let simmer while you chop your paneer (or other cheese). I chop mine into half inch squares.

(Here you have the option of frying your paneer for a few minutes in oil, until golden. I usually am too hungry and end up skipping this step, because I don't believe it's really that necessary.)

7. Add paneer and salt to curry, and let simmer for a few minutes before serving with rice, naan and possibly a nice India Pale Ale.

No comments:

Post a Comment