Mistakes, triumphs and adventures in pescitarian cooking!

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Seafood Curry



Last night I was chopping up some onions for dinner, and I ended up slicing into my index and middle fingers on my left hand! After some general "Ow ow ow ow" and pained looks, I settled onto the couch with a few bandages and a magazine to let my wonderful boyfriend finish preparing dinner. Since it was early on in the cooking stages, he went a different route entirely and made a lovely, fragrant seafood curry.

When my boy and I first started dating, the very first weekend actually, I asked him if he'd like to go out to lunch (read: breakfast, because we all get up closer to the afternoon side of the day) to an Indian buffet with my family and I. He said yes, and it wasn't until months later that I found out that he'd never really had Indian food before and that curry for breakfast was actually pretty bizarre to him. However, this jarring first experience has thankfully led to a love for Indian cuisine that is almost as intense as my own. I also have him to thank for being the first of us to even take the plunge and try to recreate some of these dishes in our own kitchen.



Goan-style Seafood Curry
Serves 3-4

1 tbs of olive oil or ghee
1 tbs of mustard seeds
1 garlic clove, crushed
1 tsp ground turmeric
1/2 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp chili powder
1 can of coconut milk
1/2 pound of white fish
1/2 pound of cooked shrimp
half a large white onion, finely chopped
juice of 1 lime
salt and pepper, to taste

1. Heat the oil in a skillet over high heat. Add the mustard seeds, and stir them around until the pop, about a minute.

2. Add the onion and garlic and stir for about 5 minutes, until the onion is cooked. Stir in the turmeric, coriander and chili powder and continue stirring for another 30 seconds or so.

3. Add the coconut milk. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium and stir for another 2 to 3 minutes.

4. Reduce the heat to low, add the fish and simmer for 1 minute, spooning the sauce over the fish. Add the shrimp and continue cooking for 4-5 minutes, until the fish flakes easily.

5. Add half the lime juice, then taste and add more if you wish. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and serve with rice and naan.

No comments:

Post a Comment